RAWALPINDI, QUETTA, (SANA): Former president general (retd) Pervez Musharraf is to be indicted on August 6 in the Benazir Bhutto murder case, an anti-terrorism court (ATC) in Rawalpindi said Tuesday. Meanwhile the same court has restored the freezed assets of Parvez Musharraf. On the other hand the Balochistan High Court has rejected the bail plea of Parvez Mussarraf in Nawab Akbar Bugti murder case.
Musharraf was also produced amidst tight security during Tuesday’s hearing of the case headed by ATC judge Habibur Rahman in Rawalpindi.
Copies of records pertaining to the case were made available to the former military strongman and he kept a set of the copies after signing the requisite document.
Moreover, Saud Aziz, who was City Police Officer (CPO) of Rawalpindi when Benazir was assassinated on December 27, 2007, and the then SP Khurram Shahzad appeared before the ATC.
The court ordered the authorities to produce the former president at the next hearing of the case, adding that he would be indicted on August 6. The case was subsequently adjourned to the said date.
Following the adjournment, the former president returned to his Chak Shahzad residence, which had been declared sub-jail.
Benazir Bhutto was assassinated in a gun-and-bomb attack outside Rawalpindi’s Liaquat Bagh on December 27, 2007 while Musharraf was president. She was killed after addressing an election campaign rally in the city.
The ATC had named Musharraf in the case in February 2011, and in August the same year he was declared a proclaimed offender and his property was attached because of his absence.
Meanwhile, the ATC in Rawalpindi also heard the petition seeking the release of Musharraf’s assets and bank accounts. The 11 crore rupees present in 11 bank accounts and 1000 yard plot at Gawadar and farmhouse of Chak Shahzad were confiscated due to non-appearance of Musharraf in BB murder case. The court in its order said that Musharraf has been appeared before court in BB murder case so the freezed assets are being restored immediately.
The court ordered the restoration of the former president’s assets after hearing the petition. During Tuesday’s proceedings, Musharraf’s lawyer Ilyas Siddiqui pleaded the court to withdraw its earlier order of confiscating
Musharraf’s assets, and argued that the assets of a proclaimed offender cannot be seized if he presents himself before the court within two years.
Ilyas Siddiqui Advocate further informed the court that the summons sent to his client was also not implemented. However, the prosecutor of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) claimed that the notices sent to Musharraf were followed out.
The court, after hearing the arguments of Musharraf’s counsel and the FIA, ordered to release the applicant’s assets and bank accounts.
Meanwhile the Balochistan High Court (BHC) on Tuesday rejected the bail request of former dictator and president General (retd) Pervez Musharraf in the Akbar Bugti murder case.
A two-judge bench of the BHC comprising Justice Naeem Afghan and Justice Mustafa Mengal heard the petition.
The bench directed Musharraf to file another request in the anti-terrorism court (ATC). The judges said how the court could give the bail to a person who is not in custody of court or province.
Earlier on July 15, ATC Judge Muhammad Ismail Baloch had had directed police to produce Musharraf for the hearing of the murder case of Baloch leader Akbar Bugti on July 30.
Police presented initial charge sheets against Mr. Musharraf to the anti-terrorism court in southern-western city of Quetta, saying the former ruler could not be presented due to security threats.
Judge Muhammad Ismail Baloch accepted the charge sheet but rejected concerns about security and ordered police crime branch department to produce the accused on next hearing.
The BHC had reserved its verdict on the bail plea on July 22 after anti-terrorism court (ATC) in Quetta rejected Musharraf’s application.
Musharraf has been accused of orchestrating murder of Bugti, the chief of his tribe, who was killed in a military operation in 2006.